Ways to Discuss Massage Therapy Client Expectations
A client’s therapeutic needs will be met if there is a clear discussion before the massage session.
Here are a few ways to ascertain specific expectations from your clients
- Ask them if they have had massage before
- If so, what type of massage was it? i.e. myofascial, swedish, shiatsu, etc.
- Was it positive or helpful? What part was most helpful?
- If it wasn’t helpful, what part were they dissatisfied with?
- Did they receive treatments from the same person regularly? Was it a positive experience?
- Besides previous massage sessions, what experience have you had with bodywork?
- What do you already know about massage?
- Where did you hear about or learn about massage?
- What results are you looking for from this session?
- Are you willing to set up consistent appointments to address any long term issues?
- Do you have any expectations about how long it will take to feel relief? Or how long it will take for resolution of complaints?
- Do you have any questions about the massage and what will happen?
Do you have any questions about dis-robing or draping procedures?
Obviously there are many questions that will come up which are specific to each client’s needs, and you can tailor your questions accordingly. Or have fun making your own list of ideas you feel are relevant!